1. Founder, CASPER (Calgary Streptococcus pneumoniae Epidemiology Research) team. Studies on several topics including:
- Trends in S. pneumoniae (pneumococcal) infections. In 1998, we established a prospective, population-based surveillance study of all invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD, infections of normally sterile body sites such as meningitis and sepsis) in Calgary and area and the study has continued to the present. We have gathered extensive demographic, clinical and microbiologic data on over 2000 IPD cases since 2002. Studies have included evaluation of the epidemiology of disease before and after the introduction of polyvalent protein-polysaccharide pneumococcal conjugate vaccines in 2002 (PCV7) and 2010 (PCV13). We have also studied numerous aspects of the clinical course and outcome of invasive pneumococcal disease.
- Trends in asymptomatic nasopharyngeal colonization with pneumococcus in healthy children. The nasopharynx is the site of initial adherence and colonization prior to any disease. Asymptomatic colonization occurs much more frequently than disease. We have conducted 12 point prevalence surveys including more than 6000 healthy children under 5 years of age since 2003 and identified colonization in more than 1200 children. In particular, we are studying the impact of PCV7 and PCV13 on then prevalence and strain-specific colonization with pneumococcus.
2. Co-Founder, ACHIEVE (Alberta Children’s Hospital Infectious Diseases Epidemiology and Vaccine Evaluation) Research. We contribute to numerous vaccine preventable disease studies including:
- AIHS funded APPETITE (Alberta Provincial Enteric Infection Team) http://gotgastro.ca, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26226953
- CIRN (Canadian Immunization Research Network) CANVAS (Canadian National Vaccine Safety Network) http://cirnetwork.ca/about-us/researchers/, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26227369
- CIHR Funded Respiratory Microbiome Study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25575312
- IMPACT (Immunization Monitoring Program, Active) Pneumcococal Working Group http://www.cps.ca/impact
- QUEST (Quadrivalent HPV Vaccine Evaluation Study) http://questhpvstudy.ca
- WHO Serotype Replacement Technical Advisory Group http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3782411/
- Vaccine clinical trials