The Owerko Centre plays an important role in meeting the research objectives positioned in the University of Calgary's Child Health and Wellness Strategy.
The Owerko Centre promotes a multidisciplinary and bio-psychological research agenda that strives to:
- Advance our understanding of biological and psychosocial development of children and improve health outcomes through translational research
- Determine prenatal and early childhood socio-environmental predictors of neurodevelopmental and behavioural disorders
- Identify mechanisms (e.g., neural, endocrine, genetic, metabolic) underlying the relationships among antecedents, predictors and neurodevelopmental and behavioural disorders
- Improve the early identification and diagnosis of child neurodevelopmental and mental health disorders using imaging, genomics, and metabolomic approaches; and
- Evaluate and improve clinical, supportive and rehabilitative treatments for children and families at risk for, and affected by neurodevelopmental and behavioural disorders.