March 10, 2023
Shaziah Jinnah Morsette elected new Students’ Union president
The University of Calgary Students’ Union announced the results of its general election, forming the 81st Students’ Legislative Council. Undergraduate students made their voices heard and chose fellow students who will represent them to faculties, the university, and the three orders of government.
With a return to campaigning as usual and in-person, candidates were able to speak directly with students through forums, debates, interviews, and one-on-one conversations.
Two candidates with previous SU executive experience, Mickail Hendi and Shaziah Jinnah Morsette, sought the role of president to succeed two-term President Nicole Schmidt. The new president is Shaziah Jinnah Morsette with 64 per cent of the vote.
For the role of vice-president student life, Ermia Rezaei-Afsah was elected with 66 per cent of the vote. In the race for vice-president external, Mateusz Salmassi defeated one other candidate, earning 53 per cent of the vote.
The remaining two executive roles went to a "yes" or "no" vote with one candidate running for each role. Sandra Amin was elected as vice-president academic with 90 per cent of the vote while Arlington Antonio Santiago was elected vice-president operations and finance with 86 per cent.
Other new faces in undergrad student government:
- Board of Governors student-at-large: Taimur Akhtar, 51 per cent
- Kinesiology representative: Jessie Dinh, 69 per cent
- Faculty of Science: Ben Shi, 31 per cent; Erica Peng, 27 per cent; Eyerusalem Tadese, 23 per cent
- Faculty of Arts: Muntaha Aamir, Siraaj Shah
- Cumming School of Medicine: Angelica Uy , Chaten Jessel
- Haskayne School of Business: Hari Sing, Md Asif Khan
- Faculty of Law: Safaa Al-Khaz’Aly
- Schulich School of Engineering: Abhari Limbu, Fardeen Islam
- Faculty of Social Work: Jessica Klaassen
- Werklund School of Education: Elsa Stokes
- Senate student-at-large candidates: Aly Samji, Reeana Tazreean.
Students were asked, via a plebiscite, about their thoughts on the university's mandatory athletics fee. Students each pay about $115 annually and the fee supports the Dinos Athletics program. The SU decided to ask for student feedback on the fee to inform advocacy efforts towards the university.
Students were provided seven options to choose from and could choose any number of options. The top three choices were: Students being able to opt out of the fee, the fee is not good value for money, and the fee should be reduced.
A total of 3,865 students voted in the 2023 general election. The results announced on Thursday become official on March 17, 2023. Students elected in this general election will take office at the beginning of May 2023.
The SU will hold a byelection in October 2023 to fill the following faculty representative vacancies: Faculty of Arts (2), Schulich School of Engineering (1), Faculty of Nursing (1), Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (1).