ACHRI Research Trainees
As a research institute, ACHRI focuses not only on providing a sound research environment to its members, but also on creating innovative training initiatives to enhance the educational and research training experience at UCalgary and ACHRI.
ACHRI Trainee Weekly Post
To keep our trainees up-to-date on various relevant training activities and funding opportunities in our Institute and UCalgary, ACHRI sends out a weekly newsletter to registered ACHRI trainees and members. To be added to the ACHRI trainee mailing list, please register as an ACHRI trainee or contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see the ACHRI calendar for listings of current ACHRI events, open to members and trainees. Please see the CSM Training Programs calendar for listings of current workshops and training opportunities in ACHRI and other CSM institutes/programs.
ACHRI Trainee Funding Competitions
ACHRI STEP is accepting applications for the following competitions:
- ACHRI Graduate Scholarship: Deadline January 10 - NOTE NEW APPLICATION PROCESS
- ACHRI Trainee Publication Award: Deadline February 1, 2021
- Trainee Travel and Research Visit Awards: In light of the current COVID-19 situation, ACHRI is accepting applications for ACHRI Trainee Travel Awards and Research Visits on a rolling basis. Trainee can still access this funding if they attend virtual conferences or workshops.
External Funding Opportunities for Students and Postdoctoral Scholars
CIHR Health System Impact Fellowship
Open to doctoral trainees and post-doctoral fellows
- Stream A: HSI Award for Doctoral Trainees: Up to $50,000 per year for up to 1 year
- Stream B: HSI Awards for post-Doctoral Fellows: Up to $155,000 total for 2 years
Deadline: Thursday, February 24, 2022
Critical Care SCN 2022 Undergraduate Studentship - Call for Applications
The Critical Care Strategic Clinical Network Summer Studentship Award (CC SCN-SSA) is designed to foster research interest in critical care medicine and related disciplines among students at the undergraduate level of study. It is the CC SCN goal that this experience will stimulate an interest in critical care research or clinical practice in critical care medicine (i.e., nurse, physician, allied health professional) and related disciplines (e.g., public health, social sciences, etc.). The award will fund $7,500 per student over 4 months between May and August 2022.
Application Deadline: February 1, 2022
Notification of Awards: March 31, 2022
Any questions can be directed to:
Samantha Bowker, PhD
Assistant Scientific Director Critical Care SCN™, Alberta Health Services
Adjunct Professor, Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Alberta
Mitacs Elevate Fellowships
Mitacs Elevate is a two-year training program for postdoctoral fellows (PDFs), where participants lead and undertake a research project with an industry partner. Open to all disciplines and all industry sectors.
- Mitacs Elevate Award: $55,000 per year for 2 years
- Mitacs Elevate Thematic Award: $70,000 per year for 2 years if the project addresses at least one of the key priority sectors of artificial intelligence, biomanufacturing, clean tech, or quantum science.
RSO Final Internal Deadline (Full Application): Friday, January 14, 2022 at noon (12:00 p.m. MDT)
Child Health and Wellness Seminars
The seminars take place virtually on Mondays from 8:30– 9:30 am, featuring local and international speakers from our seven Child Health and Wellness programs. For details on these seminars and to register, please visit ACHRI's Events Calendar.
CCHCSP Certificate Eligible Sessions
- USASK Session: Physician Well-being Now: Tuesday December 7, 2021 @ 12:00-1:30pm. Speaker: Dr. Anita Chakravarti. Register in advance for this meeting: https://albertahealthservices.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMpc-6trD4vGdMxb0h6NaIt9BEf2djPDw3Q
CHRIM Session: Engaging and Impactful Presentations: Monday December 13, 2021 @ 12:00-1:00pm. Speaker: Dr. Alex Clark & Bailey Sousa. Register in advance for this meeting: https://umanitoba.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAud-qurDsiHNVKPZYd76bkk5uovhxCXURq
- WCHRI Learning Session: How to write a lay abstract- Effectively communicating your grant application to non-specialists: Wednesday January 26, 2022 @ 11:30am-1pm MST. Speaker: Meghan Riddell. Register in advance for this session: Learning Session: How to write a lay abstract – WCHRI
Mental Health during COVID-19
If you are experiencing increased anxiety, fear and stress related to COVID-19, UCalgary has some excellent tips and mental health resources for students, staff and faculty.
Resources for Trainees
- Visit My GradSkills online training resources to learn about remote professional development training opportunities for graduate studies
- Visit the FGS COVID-19 information page for policies, updates and resources for graduate students and programs
- Career Services: Resources for Students and CareerLink
- UCalgary Health Sciences Library Workshops
- Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning: Postdoctoral Scholar Certificate in University Teaching
- Alberta SPOR Support Unit
- Patient-Oriented Research Curriculum in Child Health (PORCCH): This is a series of interactive, online modules for patients and families, researchers, clinicians, trainees and anyone interested in learning more about patient-oriented research in child health. The modules are free.
Other Training Opportunities
Canadian Child Health Clinician Scientist Program (CCHCSP) has a new online learning platform, creo™, which provides training in some basic research method skills. To register for a free account with creo™, please click here. Note, creation of an account and completion of the modules is not a requirement for CCHCSP certification. Rather this is one of many optional tools CCHCSP would like to make available to our trainees, ensuring that each of you has access to training materials across all CCHCSP modules to help you become the best child health clinician scientist you can be.
ACHRI, the Owerko Centre, HBI, Libin and Snyder Institute have teamed up to provide summer students with outstanding opportunities and resources to enrich your summer research experience. Register with us to be added to the mailing list and receive the latest information on the upcoming summer workshops and activities!