ACHRI Research Trainees
As a research institute, ACHRI focuses not only on providing a sound research environment to its members, but also on creating innovative training initiatives to enhance the educational and research training experience at UCalgary and ACHRI.
ACHRI Trainee Weekly Post
To keep our trainees up-to-date on various relevant training activities and funding opportunities in our Institute and UCalgary, ACHRI sends out a weekly newsletter to registered ACHRI trainees and members. To be added to the ACHRI trainee mailing list, please register as an ACHRI trainee or contact our office at email@example.com.
Please see the ACHRI calendar for listings of current ACHRI events, open to members and trainees. Please see the CSM Training Programs calendar for listings of current workshops and training opportunities in ACHRI and other CSM institutes/programs.
ACHRI Trainee Funding Competitions
ACHRI STEP is accepting applications for the following competitions:
- Trainee Travel and Research Visit Awards: In light of the current COVID-19 situation, ACHRI is accepting applications for ACHRI Trainee Travel Awards and Research Visits on a rolling basis. Trainee can still access this funding if they attend virtual conferences or workshops.
Child Health and Wellness Seminars
The seminars take place virtually on Mondays from 8:30– 9:30 am, featuring local and international speakers from our seven Child Health and Wellness programs. For details on these seminars and to register, please visit ACHRI's Events Calendar.
Summer Student Symposia
This year there will be three summer student symposia where students can share the outcomes of their summer research projects. All summer students are welcome to attend all three symposia but only permitted to submit an abstract for one event.
ACHRI-Owerko-Libin Summer Student Symposium will be held virtually on August 24, 9 AM - 12:15 PM. Deadline to submit your abstract is July 26 at midnight.
For the details on other summer student symposia, please visit the Summer Student webpage.
Summer Student Workshop Series
May - August 2021
This summer, ACHRI, the Owerko Centre, HBI, Libin and Snyder Institute are pleased to offer a compelling Summer Student Program for our summer students: a series of eight workshops, journal clubs and other opportunities and resources. The program culminates in a Summer Student Symposium in August. All students are welcome to participate in any or all aspects of the program offered online from May - August 2021. Learn more about the program here and register for the workshops here.
Mental Health during COVID-19
If you are experiencing increased anxiety, fear and stress related to COVID-19, UCalgary has some excellent tips and mental health resources for students, staff and faculty.
Resources for Trainees
- Visit My GradSkills online training resources to learn about remote professional development training opportunities for graduate studies
- Visit the FGS COVID-19 information page for policies, updates and resources for graduate students and programs
- Career Services: Resources for Students and CareerLink
- UCalgary Health Sciences Library Workshops
- Taylor Institute for Teaching and Learning: Postdoctoral Scholar Certificate in University Teaching
- Alberta SPOR Support Unit
- Patient-Oriented Research Curriculum in Child Health (PORCCH): This is a series of interactive, online modules for patients and families, researchers, clinicians, trainees and anyone interested in learning more about patient-oriented research in child health. The modules are free.
Other Training Opportunities
Canadian Child Health Clinician Scientist Program (CCHCSP) has a new online learning platform, creo™, which provides training in some basic research method skills. To register for a free account with creo™, please click here. Note, creation of an account and completion of the modules is not a requirement for CCHCSP certification. Rather this is one of many optional tools CCHCSP would like to make available to our trainees, ensuring that each of you has access to training materials across all CCHCSP modules to help you become the best child health clinician scientist you can be.
ACHRI, the Owerko Centre, HBI, Libin and Snyder Institute have teamed up to provide summer students with outstanding opportunities and resources to enrich your summer research experience. Register with us to be added to the mailing list and receive the latest information on the upcoming summer workshops and activities!